I've had a couple of posts with just "streams of consciousness" oozing which really is quite rubbishy coz it goes all over the place. I've actually been wanting to share my wonder while reading the "eat pray love" book which I've been enjoying thoroughly.
however as I also suffer from "shit my memory if shot to hell and back" syndrome i keep forgetting this everytime i log on to blogspot. sheesh. so here are some snippets from the book that completely enraptured me.
I forgot most parts of the book that I simply fell head over heels with. It could be a phrase like "attraversiamo!" = let's cross over [while literally meaning cross the road, figuratively the options seem endless.]
I love how she writes bringing me into her world of experience. It's like she's drawing me into her world and I just escape everything and everyone around me. Of course no one does it better than JK Rowling in my humble opinion. Her writing made me throw away anything resembling reality far into the wind. It gets to a point when I finally snap out of the reverie i feel so disoriented like I was pushed out of this amazing world, emotions and all. Wonder whether anyone else has that feeling? I've been like that ever since my mom first started reading to me and when I could finally read myself, all I ever wanted to do was read.
I used to drive my parents insane, I even had my library cards confiscated by them coz I had a voracious appetite for reading. I could read for ages. They realised the best thing in the world to do was to leave me in a bookstore or a library where I could read for ages. I wouldn't even realise they were gone. I even psyched my friends to read with an appetite in secondary school (weird huh! i still can't believe i did tt)
I lost the passion to read when I was in JC. It was a sad divorce but still amicable. I read occasionally now but always still trying to find writing with that same draw with that magnetic pull that sucks me in and let's me enter this wonderful imagination. probably why I decided to study literature. but my love of reading far outweighs the necessity to read too much into everything (ie. the rain symbolizes the purification of bla bla)
The Good Earth was one of the books I had to study for school but I loved every moment of reading that book it was like taking a trip back in time to China without the need for translations or subtitles. To kill a mockingbird was another classic I did in school that just brought me exactly to that time and place. I could almost taste the molasses everytime I read about it.
Eat Pray Love the book in my opinion tells the story 200 million times better than the movie could ever hope to achieve. The same applies to Harry Potter. Our imagination kicks whatever is actually possible in this day and age anytime. EPL the book, is opening my mind to what seems like neverending possibilities.
for instance she revels in how italians can be the master of "bel far niente" which is the beauty of doing nothing. i'd like to think i was the master of that while i was in school. while she compares it with americans, i think about how singaporeans are struggling everyday with the craziness of our lives. i can think of at least 2 ppl who can never be the master of bel far niente while i aim to be that, i feel that its hard. there's always a list. a to-do list. a check list. if i'm at home i have to clean up, do the laundry, think abt what we're gonna have for lunch or dinner, settle the grocery shopping. My idea of doing nothing is to sit in front of the tv and watch countless marathons on FOX channel. but is that really revelling in doing nothing? when i go on a holiday since i'm already there i have to see things, do thing, watch tv, something. are we really capable of being like the passionate italians? how do they do it?
she asks some pertinent questions that really are very simple but still hits me hard anyway like what would you enjoy doing today?
what would give you pleasure? i'v never thought about it like that.
what are my choices to be?
what do i believe that i deserve in life?
where can i accept sacrifice and where can i not?
i honestly can't answer most of the qns. i guess like how she felt, i feel now that i've lost myself and my wants n desires in this flood of stuff happening all the time. i've allowed myself to be lost and now i'm used to being part of the flood i've reached a scary point where i just accept without questioning. i hope i get the answers to these qns and help understand myself better as i read on. i haven't finished the book yet i'm still reading about her journey in italy. my trip there certainly wasn't anything like hers!