So more and more of my friends are tying the knot. Mostly people I don't catch up with anymore but more of them nonetheless. It's a good thing coz finally I'm not the only one.
So yest one of the FB friends tied the knot and she posted this saying from Meet Joe Black
"I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate. I want you to sing with rapture, dance like a dervish."
Sounds simply delightful doesn't it? I love how it sounds magical and whimsical.
Unfortunately, reality truly bites. I've never been a fan of marriage personally. Mainly because I seemed to be enveloped by the negativity of it all. Know alot of people who were so deeply in love and had their dream shattered to bits. People include family, family friends and friends. Some of those friends have had second chances with their second marriage. Not everyone is so fortunate. I know of those who are in long suffering marriages where infidelity is a key player.
Why then do most people have this mistaken ideal that marriage is a happily ever after? Is it because fairy tales that we grew up with always told us so? It never ended with snow white and prince got married, fought everyday and got a divorce did it or they eventually drifted apart and got a divorce?
Recently my mom's friend got married she called my mom for advice after the hubby and her got into a tiff. I think it was a wake up call for her. I feel for her really.
I've spoken to a fellow person who is married, she told me ashamedly that sometimes she wished she was single and didn't have to go through the trials and tribulations. Something tells me many more of us have had that thought more than we care to admit.
There's a famed writer in the Sunday Times who shares her bumps on the road as she just got married as well. Talking about things that most would never dare air to the masses like sleeping in different rooms.
I've had more than my share of tiffs, currently engaged in one actually. I feel so jaded and disillusioned at present. Like I've been lied to and betrayed somewhat. I detest it really.
Another topic that has me up in arms, is about these two young girls in junior college who were filmed without their knowledge doing something intimate and the video was then circulated amongst the school forcing them to leave the school eventually.
Firstly, I feel the media have been less than innocent in this matter. The way the story was portrayed made me so angry! Was there such great coverage of it because of the repute of the school? That's my alma mater and I stand by strongly toward it but I feel that if it were an unknown school coverage would not have been so vast. It seems to be a skewed perspective.
Take away the fact that it's my alma mater, these two poor young girls seeking to start anew in a new school have all hopes dashed! Now those who didn't even know about it will immediately google this try to find the video to view it. How will they deal with this? We know of an american boy committing suicide because his video of being intimate with someone of the same sex was circulated in the world wide web. Why do we drive people to the very edge of the cliff?
How did that article help anyone involved? Did it help the two girls who were already reeling from the after effects of social stigma? Did it help those currently in the school? Did it actually help readers? If any it would raised alarm in parents and made them more paranoid than ever. But did the realisation of this event actually help anyone involved? I understand the need to raise awareness but surely it could have been done without implicating anyone or making it that much worse for those poor girls. I hope they have enough money to start anew overseas coz it's gonna be really tough here.
I feel an intense sense of injustice on behalf of them.