So I met a really good friend of mine for lunch today. She just recently returned from her trip to Europe with the boyfriend.
She told me she's getting married.
My reaction stunned her. I had absolutely no reaction.
For the life of me I have no clue why.
Unlike most people I know or some of my friends, I've never harboured any desire to get married. I was as surprised as the person beside me. Honestly I still am. Sometimes the whole thing feels ridiculously surreal. Don't get me wrong I no longer detest marriage but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly I feel towards the idea of marriage really. perhaps it's too many emotions.
I've been trying to think why I had no reaction.
- Could it be that she's been dating the guy for what seems like ages?
- Could it be that I feel that she's in for a rude shock when she goes into the daily routine of married life? Sometimes married life seems overly romanticised to some people I know.
- Could it be that she was very excited to meet me and speak to me after she came back which is not her usual nature?
- Could it be that suddenly I have friends telling me that they are getting married all the time now? (honestly it's pretty strange coz when I got married I got treated to the wonderful speech of "you are so young you are wasting your youth how could you bla bla bla. whatever dude i'm not a nitwit.)
I honestly have no idea why I had no reaction whatsoever but I do know that I suspected it. Europe. Come on. It's a perfect opportunity.
Don't get me wrong, having absolutely no reaction doesn't mean I'm not thrilled for her. Coz I am. I know she's been desiring this for ages. And I'm truly happy it's finally happening.
When she gave me the great news that I'll be helping her the entire way I suddenly had nightmares about my own preparatory hell. I was so angry and wound up most of 2009 with all the craziness. Thankfully she only has one simple wedding! Phew.
I think I'm gonna enjoy myself very much with her wedding :)
Cheers to her and her soon to be hubby!