Thanks to everyone who has msged me or msn-ed me your condolences and your kind words.
I appreciate it very much.
My granny lived a very full life of 83 years (though in her I/C it says 87 she insisted she was 83). She has gotten to see all her children live full lives, her grandchildren and even her great-grandchildren. And for that she has been very blessed.
She was an extremely positive woman, never a word of complaint, even when my grandpa passed on much earlier and she had to bring up 6 kids on her own she charged through it with gusto. She made time for every single one of us. And I mean every one of her kids, grandkids and great-grand kids. Always armed with great stories, encouraging words she made us all happy.
And that is why it was so hard for every one of us to see her suffer for the past 2 weeks in the hospital in pain with the 2 drips and constant pricking to check her sugar levels. It was hard when the doctor discharged her to go home, and we found out she had a mild stroke. It was hard to see her lie in bed at home in a semi-comatose state not waking up, not being able to talk, get up, eat or even drink. It was harder when she struggled to breathe and no one could do anything about it. And the decision to bring her back to the hospital and make her go through that pain again was very hard too. It was hard as all of us gathered by her bedside watching her struggle to breathe with all the equipment and watch her pulse rate plummet. She left us on 13 September 2007 between 10 -11pm (It was all a blur yest)
She hung on to see her oldest son who's in the UK but her body couldn't hang on any longer.
But I don't wish to remember this.
I want to remember my robust granny, who made jokes, told numerous stories (even abt the war!), made me speak and learn Malayalam, taught me to have strength and courage in life. She's imparted to us all with great life lessons. Lessons that we cannot learn in school. I remember most the day she took me and my cousin to the zoo and she had more enthusiasm and strength as compared to us both. I was only 7 I think. I remember she made me go for walks with her and she was so friendly! She had friends of all races, religions, languages. She taught me not to have prejudice, not to discriminate but to embrace everyone with as much warmth as she did.
And for that, Velliamachi (Granny) Cheriyan Rahael I love you very much and I will never forget you and all that you have done for me and the entire family.
God bless you.