"The Oh in Ohio" was the latest movie I caught after quite a damn long time of not watching movies. I was having withdrawal symptoms already (you all know what a movie buff I am)
I gotta say I was rather disappointed. After all those raving reviews and teaser trailers. The good thing was you couldn't predict anything about the movie. It was totally unpredictable, even the ending.
As much as I am an advocate for letting your hair down, being passionate about what you do and not doing things for the sake of it like a robot (which was reinforced in the movie) ; I am also an advocate for keeping families together. I've noticed recently hollywood (like the oh in ohio), channel 5, channel 8, channel u etc etc the shows are starting to have more and more screen couples break up/ commit adultery/ separate/ divorce etc. It does not help matters.
In real life, divorce rates are alarming. Check this out.
"
1 in 10 Singapore marriages break up within 10 years, and more couples with grown-up children are also calling it quits. Last year, there were close to
7,000 divorces, compared to about 3,600 fifteen years ago. " -- Source: Channel NewsAsia
Can anyone imagine your grandparents even SUGGESTING divorce?
Holy cow.
Talk about uproar.
Times certainly have changed drastically with growing social acceptance. That's not my problem. Social acceptance is important to a certain extent.
My problem ladies and gents is
social numbness.
I understand that at times shows especially on MediaCorp seem SO damn propaganda "go have more babies" etc. People really tune out coz the messaging is NOT SUBTLE. However, how far should reel life mimic real life? And should there not be some sort of subliminal messaging to TRY your best to make it work and the very LAST RESORT should be to let go. At times, shows which are too far fetched heading along the lines of brady bunch meets stepford wives, the audience will just get creeped out and avoid it. But come on.
Shows with love triangles turning to love squares, love pentagons and soon-to-be octagons are bloody ludicrous. The worst are sex octagons.
Everyone is like...eh?
Ok I know sex helps to sell alot of things. Its attention grabbing. I learnt this in debate, overexposure my friends is gonna desensitise and eventually BORE.
Guess I'm more of a happy ending person. *shrugs*
Real life has too many crap endings for me.
Let me at least enjoy happy endings in movies.
Another thing I realised is that I really like Grey's Anatomy and I realised cos it has something in common with Sex and the City.
The narrative.
Yea you know those damn witty, insightful one liners by Carrie Bradshaw.
Meredith Grey has those too.
(Do they have the same screenwriter or what?)
I was so addicted to Season 3 yesterday courtesy of my fren in manchester who sent it all the way to me. thx babe! (i'm so sleep deprived now...darn it)
Ep 6 struck me with the line about commitment.
How people can surprise you with sacrifice and how committed they are. I need to find the exact lines she said. It was good.
*Sidenote: I found it! I love these lines. So thought-inducing.
"There are times when even the best of us have trouble with commitment, and we may be surprised at the commitments we're willing to let slip out of our grasp. Commitments are complicated. We may surprise ourselves by the commitments we're willing to make, true commitment, takes effort, and sacrifice. Which is why sometimes, we have to learn the hard way, to choose our commitments very carefully."