The English language is truly beautiful, its intricacies and idosynscrasies are something you grow to love.
Now I once read a post on a blog I forgot, wonderful entry about how the misuse of the language can drive one abso-fuckin-lutely insane. The nuances, ladiea and gents are not to be trifled with.
I will get on your case when you misuse the word "slang" when it should be "accent", I read in the Malaysian paper , The Star, once that a fellow Malaysian got very peeved when the same thing happened. I pump my arm in favor.
Now another nuance.
The word
"PROPOSED".Many a guy fren has told me he has "proposed" to his current girlfriend.
That always sends my mind in a spin.
You wanna MARRY her?
*gasp shock horror*
Followed by the obligatory, no! I just asked her to be my girlfriend.
Ok I do not know where these male specimen come from, last I heard from Mars. I figure they are sadly running out of brain cells to properly function. But where I come from
PROPOSED meansAsk (someone) to marry you"she proposed marriage to the man she had known for only two months"
it can also mean
Make a proposal, declare a plan for somethingPresent for considerationPropose or intendPut forward; nominate for appointment to an officeNow why would someone use the word "propose"?
When it has such STRONG connotations of marriage?
In what universe does "propose" mean asking someone to date you exclusively?
My brain cannot accept this. It is simply too aggravating.
On a
sidenote, I leave for the United States in about 24 hours. I gotta say its not as exciting as I initially thought. Its very fear inducing. I'm completely gripped with fear. So many things can go wrong. Its hella scary and panic attack inducing as well.